BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE FIRE
A SYMPHONY OF MAYHEM, PEOPLE LEAPING FROM WINDOWS LIKE LIGHTNING BOLTS
....................................................

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

why do we major in (whatever we're majoring in?) why am i majoring in what i am?

So why are you NOT majoring in what you aren't majoring in? Because (1) you hate it, understandably. Or just plain aren't good at it. like i'm not going to major in physics. but honestly i don't hate much of anything else. like i don't hate bio, or chem, if i put in the time to work for those subjects. I probably will disdain the amount of work and classes you have to take, but I can't imagine feeling any different drawing molecular orbitals or being in genetics class than drawing wires and shit for 6.02. actually, i'd probably like genetics better.

In addition, I can't say that I particularly ENJOY proof-based psets, just because i don't enjoy psets in the first place, but not any more than any other psets that i'd imagine i'd have to do. it just seems to work out that I'm not happy nor am I dissatisfied. So why not? I'm really surprised that I'm a math and CS major, actually. In middle school the LAST thing I'd want to be is a math major...and less than a year ago the last thing I'd want to be in a CS major. And hey, I'm both.

It's funny because I do miss math, and by math I mean the type of math where you actually take your pencil out and do computations. I don't think i'm going to be doing that type of math any time soon. You can SUCK at adding single-digit numbers and still do really well in higher level math classes. Interesting, huh? If I wanted to do calculations, I should've been a physics major. Which is funny, because i am not close to being a physics major. In fact I really despised the numerical work last year in 8.022. The non-math classes are the ones that actually use numbers. This won't make any sense to anyone who's never experienced anything above AP calculus :P

I guess the question is, if people knew that ALL they'd be doing as a EECS major is drawing wires and calculating gains and shit like that, would they do it? Does anyone actually enjoy that shit even if they're majoring in it? Most people want to do CS for OTHER reasons, and most of those reasons, aren't anything we're going to touch on in class. So it seems kind of superfluous, huh? But nobody complains, of course, not really. They just do it..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Leave a message. I'll love you for it =)